Today's post is on drafting the Vera Skirt - inspiration skirt shown on the left, and my (scale) version on the right.
Here is the pattern from which it is made.
To create this pattern, I started with a standard skirt block. In my case I have adapted the skirt block which I bought with the mannequin, for a slightly better fit and because I like the centre front on the left. There are no seam allowances on this block.If you are drafting this for yourself, before you begin ensure you have sufficient wearing ease, and if you wish to lower the waistline slightly, do that before the following instructions. This skirt fits the mannequin very closely, and has the waistband on the true waist. Of course its up to you how you like your skirt to fit, but make sure it's your preferred fit before you start. It also needs to be the desired length of the finished skirt. Mine is comparatively short!
The front and back are split into a yoke, and three panels each like so:
As a step by step process, the yoke is split from the rest of the block first, by measuring down the desired length (mine is an equivalent to 8cm - approx 3 1/4"- on a UK size 10 model) and cutting that line.
The pieces formed from the dart are brought together to form the yoke.
After that, the remaining part of the block needs to be split into panels. So each part is divided into thirds.
The darts are realigned by creating the dart either side of the vertical cutting lines.
And then those pieces can be cut with a slight taper.
The gore is a sector from a circle. So the circle would have a radius the length you want the gore to be. To identify this, I measured the equivalent of 10cm (4") down from the top of the panel, and the remaining length of the panel was the desired measurement. This piece is cut at a 35 degree angle.
All of the required pieces. The yoke can be cut twice to form a facing.
And then a seam allowance is added. Here I have not added a seam allowance to the centre front of the yoke, as it will be cut on the fold, but have added it to the centre back as I intend for the zipper to go down the centre back. It could just as easily go down the side instead, in which case I would leave the seam allowance of the back yoke too.
I haven't included a pattern piece for the waistband. This piece is the length of the waist + seam allowances, and it would be 6cm or roughly 2.5" wide.
To cut the pieces, I had to figure out the angle I wanted. The chevrons are not at a 45 degree angle, they are a bit wider. I marked my pattern pieces and cut them at just over 30 degrees, taking care to align the chevrons (see my post on chevrons here). In the picture on the fabric, every second piece is upside down to maximise fabric, and there is another layer underneath to create the mirrored pair for each piece.
I cut the stripes on the godets at 65 degrees, 6 one way and 6 the other, with the white part of the stripe at the top each time. Here they are laid out between the panels. I clipped the top first but really should have only clipped after I joined them.
I laid out all of my pieces in order, numbering them as I went.
As per the original instructions, I connected the godets first.
And then worked my way around. I created a facing by cutting the yoke in a plain fabric, and the waistband was sewn between the facing and yoke.
Once hemmed. the skirt is complete.
The original skirt had a petticoat layer in blue, just peeking out. It also had what appeared to be an overlocked hem. In any case, I'm pleased with my scale reproduction for now.