I've been crazy busy of late, general life stuff, and my sewing time has been used up with minor repairs, not very exciting alterations (think trouser hems) and maintenance (yawn).
But I watched The Great British Sewing Bee was this week, there was a draped top that I rather fancied making, and so today has been all about that. Here it is.
The pattern on the fabric runs vertically rather than horizontally, which is a bit unusual. On the show they used fine drapey woven fabrics, but I went for a jersey.
The pattern for the top is a single piece. The fold runs down one the long side here. Let me try and stay glamorous and illustrate that point...
Ok maybe not.
Now the Sewing Bee doesn't tell you where there patterns are from - this one was simply referred to as a Japanese pattern. A bit of research leads me to believe it is available in 'Drape Drape 2'. But I don't have it, so I drafted the pattern myself.
Here's how it works.
I started with a basic t-shirt pattern (don't I always) with no darts, and cut the front out as a full piece rather than a half piece.
I created a dolman sleeve by extending out the same width as the sleeve. I think In my next version I will make this sleeve a bit more generous, but it worked. This is then split and rotated to the right side.
So in the illustration below, the red shape is the original pattern, green is with dolman sleeves, then split and rotated out, forming the curve on the right.
The line on the left side is the centre fold. Rotating the whole piece so that the centre fold moves to a vertical position, I made a mirror image of this, with a back neckline instead of a front neckline.
Which ultimately leaves a pattern piece like this.
I had to make the sleeve a little shorter in order to make it fit on the fabric - It's quite a wide piece.
So there you go, a bit of insight into a seemingly tricky pattern.