In all honesty, I had already completed my t-shirt pattern before I thought about sharing it. So to make things a bit more interesting, my lovely friend Maria has kindly offered to volunteer to be a model for a t-shirt copy.
This is Maria, and we are going to copy her t-shirt (and make it better).
To begin with, we tied a piece of elastic around her middle. We then used this as her waistline.
We marked her waist, bust line at the seam, bust point, and underbust. I also looked at the side seams, and we decided that these swung back about 1.5cm by the waist, which is hardly surprising given that t-shirts are cut flat. Which people aren't, what with not being made of cardboard. We also decided on a v-neck, so we put a pin where that should end.
From there, I laid the t-shirt as flat as possible out on a piece of paper. I traced around the shirt, lifting the sleeve to draw in the armscye. There is a difference in shape at the front and back of the armscye, so it was important to look closely at that to see what adjustments I would need to make for the other piece.
I cut the shape out and fold it in half.
I then traced the shape again to make the back - making the same changes to the hemline and seam allowances. Otherwise, there wasn't a whole lot of change on the back.
Tracing the sleeves was a similar process - I lined the sleeves up and copied as closely as I could, adding a little extra length. The back and front are slightly different shapes, so I copied the back on folded paper, and then trimmed away the difference on the front half. I added seam allowance and hem allowance.
I then cut these pieces out and made up a t-shirt.
I joined the side seams to front and back, and then the shoulder seams including a thin strip of elastic for extra stability.
I joined the sides of the sleeves and hemmed the sleeves and the body.I inserted the sleeves by connecting the shoulder line and top crease, as well as seams in the t-shirt.
I used a 4.5cm wide strip to make the neckline. I cut this 5/6 of the length of the neckline. This is so it fits the neckline with a little stretch, and pulls taught across the body.
Which made me very unhappy.
So I had to remind myself that it was the concept we cared about here. I am still not 100% happy with the v-neck. :/
But it's finished. So here is a t-shirt, copied and tweaked to be a slightly better fit.
Definitely happy with the new sleeves, which are slightly longer than the original. And while I don't like the way the neckline pinched when I put it in, I think the shape and position is pretty much spot on. The fabric does skim the hips nicely, and the added length worked.
I might take a tiny bit out between the underbust and waist as it sits forward a little - we already had a look at where to put darts for the dress. Maria's shoulders are fairly broad but I think I added a little more than needed, so I will shave some off there for future.
So there you have it.
T-shirt copy part 2. Please look, it's much improved!